[Repec-data] A few introductions

'Christian Zimmermann' zimmermann at stlouisfed.org
Thu Aug 22 03:44:51 UTC 2013

Several people have approached me about the current movement about open
data, and in particular about RePEc being able to list data (sets). RePEc
is already a widely used portal for publications in Economics, and it
could help provide incentives for researchers and institutions to index
their data. In particular, RePEc can help make the data citable, and can
allow researchers getting credit for the data they make available through
download counts.

RePEc is, however, not yet ready to accept datasets because its metadata
scheme does not account for them. The goal of this group is to come up
with a scheme that can be applied to the many type of data that are used
in Economics. The RePEc metadata scheme for publications is remarkably
stable, as it is still at version 1.0 since 1997 (and before many other
schemes were created). We want to achieve similar stability.

There are plenty of other standards out there. We want to learn from them
so that we do not make their mistakes. We are, however, constrained by the
general scheme of ReDIF (Resource Description Information Format) that
RePEc uses. Hence I suggest that before we get going, those who are not
familiar with this scheme read a couple of documents that describe ReDIF
and how RePEc works. I do not think in-depth knowledge of this is
required, the RePEc team members will make sure of ReDIF compliance. Just
make sure you have a general understanding.

The first document, is the Guidford Protocol at
http://openlib.org/acmes/root/docu/guilp.html
This describes how RePEc archives provide their metadata. We currently
have 1583 participating archives.

The second document is the ReDIF documentation at
http://openlib.org/acmes/root/docu/redif_1.html
This defines the metadata templates in use in RePEc. Our goal is to create
a similar template for data. Important is going to be to define mandatory
and optional fields, and possibly field values.

The third document are step-by-step instructions at
http://ideas.repec.org/stepbystep.html
We give them to those interested in building a RePEc archive. These
instructions basically tell you the same as the above, but in a way that
is more practical and more digestible. You may prefer reading this if you
are short on time.

Christian Zimmermann                          FIGUGEGL!
Economic Research
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis
P.O. Box 442
St. Louis MO 63166-0442 USA