[rclis] Re: NewsAgent Classification Scheme

Thomas Krichel rclis@lists.openlib.org
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:59:28 -0600

  Dempsey,Lorcan writes

> I hope you do not mind an interloping comment.

  On the contrary!

> Putting 'archives' and 'preservation' together does not make sense in the
> context below.
>
> 'archive' has become something of a weasel word (OAI, OAIS, data archive,
> etc) which may have a specialized sense depending on context.

  and many folks have critizised OAI for that.

> Here it is collocated with 'records management' and refers to the curatorial
> traditions and practices of Archivists/records managers - people/insitutions
> who manage archival records (e.g. NARA, Public Record Office, ...).
>
> Clearly, they have an interest in preservation, but just as many others do.

  maybe we have to leave it out. There are other terms that are left
  out, for example there is a section on digital libraries.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                                   mailto:krichel@openlib.org
                                              http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                          RePEc:per:1965-06-05:thomas_krichel