[rclis] Re: NewsAgent Classification Scheme

Dempsey,Lorcan rclis@lists.openlib.org
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:22:28 -0500

I hope you do not mind an interloping comment.

Putting 'archives' and 'preservation' together does not make sense in the
context below.

'archive' has become something of a weasel word (OAI, OAIS, data archive,
etc) which may have a specialized sense depending on context.

Here it is collocated with 'records management' and refers to the curatorial
traditions and practices of Archivists/records managers - people/insitutions
who manage archival records (e.g. NARA, Public Record Office, ...).

Clearly, they have an interest in preservation, but just as many others do.

Adding preservation here suggests that 'archives' is being understood in the
sense given currency in general preservation discussions and codified in the
OAIS model, but this is to use 'archive' in a diff sense to the one intended
in J.

Lorcan

Lorcan Dempsey, VP, Research, OCLC

http://www.oclc.org/research/