[OAI-eprints] e-print software

Antonella De Robbio derobbio@math.unipd.it
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 21:58:52 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Eugenio,

>   pelizzar@eco.unibs.it writes

>   DSpace will be released by a consortium lead by the MIT libraries
>   some time soon, forgot when.[TK]

The DSpace software will be made available through the Open
Source BSD license on November 4, 2002.
This will make it possible for other institutions to use the
DSpace software to create thei own repositories.
It's a joint project of MIT Libraries and the Hewlett-Packard Company
<http://www.dspace.org/>

I will test it (Padua University) as soon

DSpace was presented at the OAI workshop in Geneve,last week.
I have prepared for my working group a report on DSpace
in italian.
You can find it on our Eprints (test environment):
<http://eprints-test.cab.unipd.it:8080/archive/00000133/>

>   I would suggeest you go a long with eprints. There are already
>   a number of Italian institutions using it, and you can create
>   a support group to help each other. [TK]

In Italy we are using Eprints in some universities: Padua, Bologna and
Firenze.
The Eprints software was expressly designed so that universities and
research institutions worldwide can now immediately create their own Open
Archives, in which their researchers in all disciplines can (immediately)
self-archive their research - both pre-refereeing preprints and
refereed postprints.
Eprints was established by Stephen Harnad at the Department of Electronics
and Computer Science at the University of Southampton, England. The
current version, GNU EPrints 2, was designed and coded by Christopher
Gutteridge with the collaboration of Mike Jewell and Al Riddoch and is
available for free..
<http://eprints.org>

Furthermore there is available also Kepler software useful to build
 OAI Data/Service Provider for the Individual
Kepler framework based on OAI supports "personal data
providers" or "archivelets".
<http://kepler.cs.odu.edu>
For more information see D-LIb Magazine article:
<http://www.dlib.org/dlib/april01/maly/04maly.html>

Cheers
Antonella De Robbio
University of Padova - Italy