[cgiapp] Anonymous home page editing?

Ron Savage ron at savage.net.au
Sat May 14 20:02:40 EDT 2011

Hi Josh

On Sat, 2011-05-14 at 02:20 -0400, Joshua Miller wrote:
> Is there a reason the home page can be modified by anyone sans-registration
> and sans-approval?

I guess it was to lower the barrier to editing.

> I noticed some spam links were added, and removed them. It's easy enough to
> remove, but seems like some sort of protection wouldn't hurt (email address
> registration with captcha, or require manual approval of changes or of
> users?). It probably doesn't matter a whole lot, since it has low traffic
> and a small dedicated group. Just felt a bit weird that it was so easy to
> modify.

Thanx for doing that. IIRC the topic of registration has come up before,
a long time ago.

My browser just hangs when I click on the link in the email. Perhaps
that's the result of the attack /or/ the defense. Don't know.

> If the ease of modification (no registration) was shown to actually increase
> participation significantly, then it'd make sense.... but I don't see much
> activity on the site anyway.

Agreed.

> This is almost 100% a third party opinion, cause I normally just lurk on
> this list, but if I were wanting to actively contribute, I'd personally have
> no problem registering and would not be offended if the registration had to
> be manually reviewed before I could modify pages.

I contribute to the list but have no access to the software behind the
site.

I have no problem with registration. It does not have to be before the
event (of editing). A neat type of captcha uses a mathematical equation
(7+2) which robots won't be expecting, as a barrier.

> Anyway... thank you to whomever does provide valuable content on the site
> and this list :-)

:-)

http://savage.net.au/
Ph: 0421 920 622