[cgiapp] size of scripts and dependencies

David Steinbrunner dsteinbrunner at pobox.com
Sun Sep 20 10:29:51 EDT 2009

Richard Jones wrote:

> P Kishor wrote:
>> Hi Richard,
>
>> I am not sure what you are telling me above. If you are telling me how
>> to install a persistent environment, I already know that. If you are
>> trying to convince me that it is not difficult to install a persistent
>> environment, well, then I don't agree. I think it is difficult and you
>> think it is not difficult. That is a perception, and removing that
>> perception is half the battle. Let alone the fact that for some
>> reason, given seemingly exactly the same environment, mod_perl
>> installed perfectly easily on my laptop, and just does not do so on my
>> server (everything is Mac OS X). I say "seemingly" exactly as a
>
> No, not trying to instruct you at all, just offering my experiences with
> mod_perl installation, for anyone who's shied away from trying it, and
> not realising you were using OS X. So not so much a difference of
> perception but of experience. I would like to be able to offer some
> suggestions why it doesn't install on your server, but cannot as I've no
> experience with OS X (and wouldn't dispute yours). Reminds me of the bad
> old days of development on Windows.

I believe mod_perl has has always been compiled and ready to use in each Mac
OS X release.  The only change was that recently it was not enabled by
default in the Apache 2 conf when they moved to it so you just need to add:

LoadModule perl_module        libexec/apache2/mod_perl.so

These are just my observations from experience.  I realize this is not a Mac
help list but I thought I should lessen the drama.

--
David Steinbrunner