[cgiapp] size of scripts and dependencies

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 11:07:37 EDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 9:29 AM, David Steinbrunner
<dsteinbrunner at pobox.com> wrote:
> Richard Jones wrote:
>
>> P Kishor wrote:
>>> Hi Richard,
>>
>>> I am not sure what you are telling me above. If you are telling me how
>>> to install a persistent environment, I already know that. If you are
>>> trying to convince me that it is not difficult to install a persistent
>>> environment, well, then I don't agree. I think it is difficult and you
>>> think it is not difficult. That is a perception, and removing that
>>> perception is half the battle. Let alone the fact that for some
>>> reason, given seemingly exactly the same environment, mod_perl
>>> installed perfectly easily on my laptop, and just does not do so on my
>>> server (everything is Mac OS X). I say "seemingly" exactly as a
>>
>> No, not trying to instruct you at all, just offering my experiences with
>> mod_perl installation, for anyone who's shied away from trying it, and
>> not realising you were using OS X. So not so much a difference of
>> perception but of experience. I would like to be able to offer some
>> suggestions why it doesn't install on your server, but cannot as I've no
>> experience with OS X (and wouldn't dispute yours). Reminds me of the bad
>> old days of development on Windows.
>
> I believe mod_perl has has always been compiled and ready to use in each Mac
> OS X release.  The only change was that recently it was not enabled by
> default in the Apache 2 conf when they moved to it so you just need to add:
>
> LoadModule perl_module        libexec/apache2/mod_perl.so
>
> These are just my observations from experience.  I realize this is not a Mac
> help list but I thought I should lessen the drama.

Not being dramatic. I am aware that Apple provides its own Perl,
Apache2 and mod_perl. I prefer to compile everything myself under
/usr/local and not tinker with anything that came from the factory.
Have been burned before doing that.

Please don't try to convince me that it is not difficult. As I said,
this is a matter of perception, not a matter of science. One click
installs are perceptibly easier. Since package installs are
perceptibly easier. Mac way actually is to just copy your binaries
wherever you wish and run, but I understand that can't be done with
open source, Unix software. Or can't it? I had a phenomenally
beautiful experience with R for Mac. A gorgeously easy installation
that just works for me, including a package manager that is very
intuitive, and an IDE that I can dive right into and start learning.
Same thing with PLT Scheme for Mac.

I know that Perl works differenlty, and I love and enjoy Perl, but
seeing millions of lines flying by me as CPAN bravely tries to do its
job, going through dependency after dependency, and then getting stuck
on some test number 28 out of 56 tests on a module 3 times removed is
definitely not easy for me... and, I believe I am an experienced
computer user.

--
Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org