[cgiapp] Re: CGI::Application mailing list is evolving

Michael Peters mpeters at plusthree.com
Wed May 6 15:23:26 EDT 2009

Mark Stosberg wrote:

> It provides a number of features including built-in archiving, web-based list
> management, RSS feeds, web-based posting and more. It's also written in Perl,
> with parts done in CGI::Application.
>
> We could also consider a "commodity" platform like a "Google Group" or similar.

I'd be ok with either of those. I don't care if it's all a single system as long
as there's a simple place to put the links to all the things we care about.

> Which features are important to you? Are there particular services you
> recommend?

Things I want:
+ Reliable
+ Easy to use
+ A more common SCM system (not darcs). SVN is popular and tolerable. Git is
nice and fast (and with something like github forking and fixing things becomes
more a community thing than just patches in an RT ticket).
+ Web-based posting (but still keeping the email list) is nice because you don't
have to join the group to participate with just a short quick question. I'm
already subscribe to too many lists so whenever I can ask a quick question
without having to subscribe again it's a win.

Things that make me go meh:
+ I'm not too big on RSS feeds for mailing lists, just seems kind of redundant.
+ Archives don't need to be built into the system since other systems do
archiving and do it really well (http://www.markmail.org/)

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP