[cgiapp] Re: CGI::Application mailing list is evolving

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sun May 10 20:43:12 EDT 2009

I've thought about this more and have a more detailed recommendation.

I propose using Sympa because it's Perl, open source, and from my initial
tests, is user friendly with a number of features which we can grow into.  It
provides more flexibility and ease-of-use than the current system for those who
manage the list.

I would also like to address the concern that this new solution has the risk
that the privately hosted site could be down, or the server admin could become
unavailable.

We can manage this with these steps:

First, at least one other person will be made an "Administrator" for the list
besides myself.

Second, I'll set up a cron job to backup the list membership regularly. This
could possibly be expanded to be our complete Sympa configuration and data,
with Lyle's help to set that up initially. Then, if Lyle should ever become
unresponsive for some reason, we can fairly quickly set up the list hosting
somewhere else. Since Sympa is open source, we could potentially have
essentially the same setup.

Third, we can see about having the official list name changed to something under
the cgi-app.org domain, like "cgiapp at lists.cgi-app.org" or "discuss at cgi-app.org".

This would give us the flexibility to rework the list hosting some, without
(hopefully) requiring changes in anyone's mail clients.

As we proceed, I'm particularly interested in feedback on this proposal from
Jesse Erlbaum, who has graciously hosted the current list for many years, and
with whom I should have discussed the proposed move in more detail before
announcing it.