[cgiapp] Re: CGI::Application mailing list is evolving

Jesse Erlbaum jesse at erlbaum.net
Wed May 6 15:48:36 EDT 2009

Hi All --

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Michael Peters <mpeters at plusthree.com>wrote:

> Things I want:
> + Reliable
> + Easy to use
> + A more common SCM system (not darcs). SVN is popular and tolerable. Git
> is nice and fast (and with something like github forking and fixing things
> becomes more a community thing than just patches in an RT ticket).
> + Web-based posting (but still keeping the email list) is nice because you
> don't have to join the group to participate with just a short quick
> question. I'm already subscribe to too many lists so whenever I can ask a
> quick question without having to subscribe again it's a win.

+1 on all of this!  And, also +1 on what John said about maintainers.

What I talked to Mark about this morning was that I think the nature of how
these projects can be supported is changing.  There is a clear multiplicity
of features which are useful, beyond just a mailing list.  I've used
Sourceforge, but I find it dated and shaky.  Irrational though it may be, I
get a much better feeling about something like Google Code (
http://code.google.com) + Google Groups.  I feel like Google is here to
stay, and actively "gets it" regarding software development AND open source.

Jesse

--
Jesse Erlbaum
The Erlbaum Group, LLC