[cgiapp] Re: Proposed new look and branding for cgi-app.org

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Tue Apr 21 11:20:17 EDT 2009

> I don't mind the name Titanium, although I actually like saying "CGI
> Application" or "cgi app" -- do we shorten "Titanium" to "tit"? :-)

We would say "Ti" for short, like the chemical symbol.

> Apart from the Ti chemical symbol logo and the name Titanium itself,
> the site isn't very "metallic" what with the trees/leaves and green.
> It's kind of like calling something Chocolate and then not using brown
> as the primary colour but pink instead. The site design isn't as shiny
> and solid as the new name might suggest. If you're going to re-brand,
> you've got to go all the way and be complete.

I agree there's some dissonance there between the brushed metal chemical
symbol local and the soft/natural tree imagery.

I take the blame for that, as I suggested both to the designer. I
specifically wanted the branding to not the
hard/metallic/technical/masculine look with gears, bright colors and
hard edges.

The project should evoke simplicity, a foundation, easy, flexibility,
room to grow. Which is where the color palette and imagery came from.
While I like the name "Titanium", I agree that it perhaps doesn't best
express what we are trying to convey. What we are offering is not a
giant machine with a huge user manual, it's more like a "seedwork" with
little documentation required to get started with it.

Someone suggested "Mantle" as alternative name. The name reasonably
fits, as it describes a kind of "natural foundation" to that natural
systems build and grow upon. It's also reasonably short. :) If we
switched to it, I think that could solve the branding dissonance issue
we currently have.

Still, I'm also OK with Titanium and it has been in use some. On the
other hand, a major marketing  push and most of the users of this
framework still lie ahead of, and may not know of it at all, so now is
better than later if there's going to be name change.

So, shall I set up a poll for Titanium vs. Mantle ? Other naming feedback?