[cgiapp] Proposed new look and branding for cgi-app.org

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Thu Apr 16 21:24:16 EDT 2009

Mark Stosberg wrote:
> [...] I'm interested in your feedback before moving forward:
>
> http://cosmicsitedesign.com/cgi-app/
>
> The update addresses long standing complaints about the genericness of the name
> "CGI::Application" or that the project name includes "CGI" at all.  The words
> "CGI::Application" also just hard to create a brand and marketing materials
> around.  So the update emphasises the Titanium name and branding ...

The design is very slick and professional, the name is fine for a
software product.

But I don't think CI::Application needs a "brand", or any "marketing
materials" created around it.  Those are devices used to increase sales
of a product when its inherent value, quality or benefits aren't
producing sufficient sales.

I'm of the opinion that CGI::Application sells itself just fine, and
that any attempt to make it look more like a commercial software product
  simply makes the "marketer" come off as deceptive, especially to
software developers who know that it is an open source product that has
a community of developers who use it, and not a company who merely
markets it, standing behind it.

Does CGI.pm need better branding, or to remove CGI from its name?

-dave, feeling curmudgeoney