[cgiapp] Re: strategies for decoupling HTML::Template

Robert Hicks sigzero at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 15:08:52 EDT 2007

A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Karen <karen.cravens at gmail.com> [2007-10-21 03:40]:
>> Plus, how many Mason-only or TT-only modules are there out
>> there? More than there are H::T-only modules, right? You can
>> hardly begrudge us H::T users *our* occasional exclusives, can
>> you?
>
> Personally, I’m not picking sides. I don’t know what sort of
> devil rode me when I picked TT, but despite initial experience it
> turned out to be terrible. H::T had seemed appealing until I
> tried it, before TT. Right now I am thinking that Mason or Petal
> might be lesser evils (in different ways), but Mason puts me off
> because it is full of framework gunk and Petal’s minilanguage is
> about as bad as minilanguages can be. As far as I’m concerned,
> for generating markup, every last one of the templating modules
> on CPAN is dreadful. I’d rather not be needlessly forced into
> *any* of them.

So what would you use? The major ones for C::A are TT and H::T and you
don't like either. Mason does not play very well at the CGI level which
is one reason I don't use it. Play there means performance wise. You
really need mod_perl to use it right. Petal is out as well, though I
have never tried that one.

I use both TT and H::T depending on the project. I love the fact that I
can just install C::A and get H::T and hit the ground running.

I have only seen you post things you don't like. So, what would you use?

Robert