[cgiapp] Re: strategies for decoupling HTML::Template

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Fri Oct 19 23:20:55 EDT 2007

* Jesse Erlbaum <jesse at erlbaum.net> [2007-10-20 04:50]:
> I am a big fan of HTML::Template, which is why I put in there
> in the first place. In spite of the fact that I have a strong
> preference, I made it easy (nay, trivial) to swap in your own
> templating system.
>
> Your request has been heard, and respectfully declined. (You're
> not nearly the first to make it.)

So despite having heard over and over from users who were
annoyed, you decided that making a statement has greater value
than not antagonising your users. OK then.

> You're going to have to hold your nose and let CPAN install
> HTML::Template even though you don't use it

Err, thanks for your loving care and gently guiding nudge, but no
thanks.

    cpan> look CGI::Application
    $ perl Makefile.PL && make && sudo make install

Thanks to the mercifully short list of dependencies, all of which
core with the exception of HTML::Template, that Just Works. Thank
you for that.

And that is why, despite the tone of some of this mail, I don’t
particularly care. It just means CGI::Application has this stupid
quirk of not being installable in a standard way for no apparent
reason – but oh well.

> because it's part of the core

I don’t see it used anywhere except in a non-essential method.
(If it were, that would count as a design problem.)

> and it's needed for many existing applications (as you've
> noticed).

I have no interest in any of them.

Regards,