[cgiapp] Re: strategies for decoupling HTML::Template

Robert Hicks sigzero at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 20:08:46 EDT 2007

A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Jesse Erlbaum <jesse at erlbaum.net> [2007-10-20 04:50]:
>> I am a big fan of HTML::Template, which is why I put in there
>> in the first place. In spite of the fact that I have a strong
>> preference, I made it easy (nay, trivial) to swap in your own
>> templating system.
>>
>> Your request has been heard, and respectfully declined. (You're
>> not nearly the first to make it.)
>
> So despite having heard over and over from users who were
> annoyed, you decided that making a statement has greater value
> than not antagonising your users. OK then.

I would point out something. It *is* his module to do with as he
pleases. I have no problem with his answer. *You* are free to fork it
and that has pretty much happened before.

I have followed this list for over a year and this is the first time *I*
have seen a request like this. So "over and over" is once or twice in a
year?

>> You're going to have to hold your nose and let CPAN install
>> HTML::Template even though you don't use it
>
> Err, thanks for your loving care and gently guiding nudge, but no
> thanks.
>
>     cpan> look CGI::Application
>     $ perl Makefile.PL && make && sudo make install
>
> Thanks to the mercifully short list of dependencies, all of which
> core with the exception of HTML::Template, that Just Works. Thank
> you for that.
>
> And that is why, despite the tone of some of this mail, I don’t
> particularly care. It just means CGI::Application has this stupid
> quirk of not being installable in a standard way for no apparent
> reason – but oh well.

Never ever ever been an issue at all. You can correct me if I am wrong
but Catalyst and Jifty are pretty much the same way and they have tons
more dependencies. These are "frameworks" and they have dependencies.

>> because it's part of the core
>
> I don’t see it used anywhere except in a non-essential method.
> (If it were, that would count as a design problem.)

He wrote C::A to scratch his itch and he use H::T. That should be
explanation enough. The fact that other people think it is a whopping
cool framework to use is just icing on the C::A cake.

>> and it's needed for many existing applications (as you've
>> noticed).
>
> I have no interest in any of them.

So don't use them? That was easy now wasn't it.

Robert