[cgiapp] Class::MOP? Really?

Ricardo SIGNES rjbs-perl-cgiapp at lists.manxome.org
Fri Oct 19 18:10:17 EDT 2007

I see that the devel version of CGI::Application uses Class::MOP.  Neat.

Except...

On my 5.8.8 install, loading CGI::Application's stable release adds about 300k
to the resident size of my perl process.  Loading metaclass.pm (of Class-MOP)
adds another 2000k.

In other words, moving from Class::ISA (which is core) to Class::MOP (which is
not) not only expands the prereqs but also makes the smallest possible
CGI::Application consume well over 7x the RAM.

Is there any actual point to this change?  Do we have plans to support
alternate inheritence hierarchies for CGI::Application?  Have any such been
tested or planned?

This isn't a "hey, Class::MOP is the new hotness!" change, is it?

--
rjbs