[Repec-data] A first proposal

David K. Levine david at dklevine.com
Thu Aug 29 18:54:36 UTC 2013

Presumably there is another dimension here, time. So we have a three dimensional array of data. The ordering isn't relevant to the content, so it can be arbitrary. But I agree we should allow for more than two dimensional arrays.

----- On 8/29/2013 10:52 am repec-data at lists.ope wrote -----

Let me throw in an example. Take the OECD Main Economic Indicators. You
can structure them in various ways:

OECD MEI
  -> GDP
  --> France
  --> Germany
  -> Inflation
  --> France
  --> Germany

or

OECD MEI
  -> France
  --> GDP
  --> Inflation
  -> Germany
  --> GDP
  --> Inflation

My suggestion would be to have in such a case a "series" (in the sense
of a collection) OECD MEI, and have each individual "time series" French
GDP, French Inflation etc indexed with a separate template. The fields
should describe the series in a sufficent way so that whoever is using
the meatadata can cross it whichever way.

Of course, there are some data

==

David K. Levine

Professor of Economics and Joint Chair RSCAS
Department of Economics                    http://www.dklevine.com/
European University Institute              phone:  [+39] 055 468 5954
Villa San Paolo                                     office: VSP 45
Via della Piazzuola 43
I-50133 Firenze - Italy

John H. Biggs Distinguished Professor
Department of Economics
Washington University in St. Louis     phone: [+1] 314 935 9529
Campus Box 12081 Brookings Dr.
St. Louis MO 63130-4899