[Repec-data] A first proposal

David K. Levine david at dklevine.com
Thu Aug 29 15:09:19 UTC 2013

With the second file being optional.  I like that idea. Given that a large fraction of data will be in the form of a file containing one or more tables, a meta-data template describing each table, each column and the nature of the rows seems desirable. Also along with the format (one of various spreadsheet formats, formats produced by/for major econometric packages).

On the question of how to label a field ("experiment", "survey" etc.) how about

data collection method

----- On 8/29/2013 07:07 am repec-data at lists.ope wrote -----

  'Christian Zimmermann' writes

> I am not sure at what level of detail we should go.

  and you proposal reflects this. "data" is very broad.

  Maybe we can use two templates here, one for data-file, giving a
  description of data that can be found in a file that is then
  provided via an URL.

  And: what prior art is available here that we can free-ride on? We
  seem to have some expertise in the group to guide us on that
  question.

--

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                  http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                              skype:thomaskrichel

==

David K. Levine

Professor of Economics and Joint Chair RSCAS
Department of Economics                    http://www.dklevine.com/
European University Institute              phone:  [+39] 055 468 5954
Villa San Paolo                                     office: VSP 45
Via della Piazzuola 43
I-50133 Firenze - Italy

John H. Biggs Distinguished Professor
Department of Economics
Washington University in St. Louis     phone: [+1] 314 935 9529
Campus Box 12081 Brookings Dr.
St. Louis MO 63130-4899