[RePEc-announce] RePEc in November 2003

Bill Goffe goffe at oswego.edu
Thu Dec 4 23:12:36 EST 2003

Christian said:

> Abstract views are weeded from any robot and spider activity. Also we
> limit the count to one IP address per item, thus curtailing "reload"
> counts. So the numbers are not inflated from this.

Ah -- I forgot this.

> My analysis of logs files on IDEAS tells me that it is not just
> research economists that use our web sites, but also practicing economists
> in the industry and government, students and simply the general public.
> And people do extensive bibliographic searches using RePEc, spending quite
> a bit of time on our sites, and returning often. And let us not forget
> that there are many more Economists in the world then what the AEA can
> cover.

Interesting -- Sune said much the same. I forgot about non-economists.

The AEA was just a way of estimating the # of economists. I remembered
the approximate membership, and John Siegfried has a paper on the % of
different departments and their AEA membership (30-70%?), so could
estimate economists in the U.S. From there, maybe approximate the number
of economists by the U.S. share of world GDP (1/3). This implies ~75K
economists worldwide (not horribly off my earlier #). Finally, most
academic economists do little publishing (I've got an article in my
office on it -- glad to share if anybody wants it).

         - Bill

         | Bill Goffe                 goffe at oswego.edu          |
         | Department of Economics    voice: (315) 312-3444     |
         | SUNY Oswego                fax:   (315) 312-5444     |
         | 416 Mahar Hall             <wuecon.wustl.edu/~goffe> |
         | Oswego, NY  13126                                    |
| "Only one astronaut has ever taken the terrifying basket ride; a safety   |
| official who took part in that same trial run screamed all the way down." |
|   -- A description of riding the emergency slide from the shuttle on its  |
|      launch pad -- it starts 200 feet off the ground and is 1,200 feet    |
|      long. CNN, 4/5/99                                                    |