[RePEc-announce] RePEc in November 2003

Bill Goffe goffe at oswego.edu
Thu Dec 4 15:40:49 EST 2003

Christian said:

> Yet another stellar month for RePEc. Traffic went up once again to new
> records: 380,488 file downloads and 2,222,213 abstract views. Details are
> at http://logec.hhs.se/.

Excellent numbers and good to see the growth, but this many abstract
views seems like a lot. If there are 40,000 active econoists (~25,000
AEA members, but certainly doesn't cover all economists) this comes to
55 views per economist, which still seems high for a month. I see
something like 3.5M page views in RFE per year, which seems high too.
Any idea what % is "real" and what is spurious?

         - Bill

         | Bill Goffe                 goffe at oswego.edu          |
         | Department of Economics    voice: (315) 312-3444     |
         | SUNY Oswego                fax:   (315) 312-5444     |
         | 416 Mahar Hall             <wuecon.wustl.edu/~goffe> |
         | Oswego, NY  13126                                    |
| "While Microsoft doesn't provide specific numbers, its Hotmail service    |
| is proclaimed to be the `world's largest provider of free Web-based       |
| E-mail.' It's interesting, then, that despite its own commercial          |
| offerings, Hotmail juggles its millions of visitors from an Apache Web    |
| server-running atop the FreeBSD open-source operating system, no less."   |
|  -- "Open Source Moves To The Mainstream," Aaron Weiss, April 10, 2000    |
|      "Information Week Online" <www.informationweek.com/781/open.htm>     |