[ReDev] rdfintro on IDEAS site

Christopher Baum kit.baum at bc.edu
Fri Aug 19 20:16:30 UTC 2016

This still doesn't answer my question.

1) Is .redif as an alternative to .rdf defined anywhere in the accessible
documentation?

2) Can the firm maintaining the stm archive merely rename their properly
encoded UTF-8 files that lack a BOM to .redif, and have them treated
properly in RePEc services? If so, they will not have to modify their
workflow, nor charge the organization they're hired by to create the
templates. They are a *nix shop, btw, but properly argue that BOM is not
required in UTF-8: "The Unicode Standard neither requires nor recommends
the use of the BOM for UTF-8..."

3) If so, how would a provider know that this was a supported alternative?

I don't know why those in the "M$ world" ought to use .rdf (that is, UTF-8
with BOM) rather than .redif. Is there some reason (some particular editor,
for instance) why those who use Windows would find it easier to include
BOMs in files? Most Windows maintainers I exchange messages with have a
hard enough time figuring out how to do UTF-8, let alone UTF-8 with BOM.

Thanks
Kit

--
Kit Baum
Professor of Economics and Social Work, Boston College, Chestnut Hill MA,