[rclis] geneva protocol

Thomas Krichel rclis@lists.openlib.org
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:06:07 -0500

  I have been working on the Geneva protocol, a general identification
  strategy for rclis. I think that tonight, I have a version that
  has the required components. With respect to what we discussed at
  the rclis summit meeting in Geneva, we have the idea of a an
  archival and a natural component of handles. When these components
  are present, the handle is said to be unblessed. This is kind of
  an internal handle to rclis. Handles that do not have these components
  are called blessed, they should be short and cryptic and be exposed
  to the outside world. In this way, we can hide the internal way
  of operating to outside communication, and rearrange the data if,
  heaven forbid, this should be necessary.

  I am interested in feedback to the document, the more critical the
  better. I want to test this out on Julio's data next week, working
  together with Jeremiah.

  As far as the main archives are concerned, I propose that Sandra
  manages rclis:org for the organizational data, and Imma manages
  rclis:can, the master channel  archive. A personal data archive
  is not yet being constructed.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                                   mailto:krichel@openlib.org
                                              http://openlib.org/home/krichel