[rclis] progress report

Jose Manuel Barrueco Cruz rclis@lists.openlib.org
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 04:27:13 -0500 (CDT)

	Hi Thomas,

	Sorry by the late reply to this posting...

>   There is some effort going on here to convert Juilio's data
>   set to AMF. Jeremiah Trinidad, a student of mine, is working
>   on this. When he has finished, another student, John Caniano,
>   will be working on reading that data into a database, and
>   write a PHP interface, so that we have a user service running.
>   Both are subscribed to the list...

	Not sure if creating a new service using AMF is a good idea. May
be for testing purposes would be usefull, but I think we should optimize
our forces. dois is a well known service at the moment, then why create a
new one rather than to collaborate with it. Dois doesn't make an optimal
usage of Julio's data because the script I wrotte contains some mistakes.
I haven't the time to upgrade it, so the Jeremiah's work would be very
usefull for us if he can provide an additional output in the old ReDIF
format.

	BTW, here in Spain, we have got a grant of 20.000 eur to write a
report on the implication for the Spanish scientific community of the new
ways of distributing scientific documents using open archives. One of the
deliverables of the project will be a prototype of an eprints server for
library and information science. Here we spect to have the assistance of
Antonnella who already has set up a server for Italian documents.

	The funds include some money (about 7.000 eur) to buy and maintain
the domain rclis.org, for computing support (programming and hosting of
servers), consultancy (i. e. new dois design), etc. Thomas offered some of
his servers in USA to host the rclis homepage. Would be possible to host
the eprints server there too?

	Cheers,