[ReLIS] The end of ReLIS that is a new life for ReLIS

Antonella De Robbio derobbio@tin.it
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 23:09:04 +0200

I agree with Thomas about our evolution into a  more wide area
comprising computer science areas.
The transformation of ReLIS project into RCLIS would be a good
opportunity for the Library and Information Science in order to a major
visibility, and funding too.
Moreover  it is feasible to build digital libraries with different tools
and  knowledges, coming LIS and CS areas  both

Thomas says about the costs:
 > a - we have to rename the list and its documents, I will do that.

To rename the list is not a big problem, the problem is to upgrade the
metadata inside ReLIS/DoIS. Up up to now  we have collected over 10.000
metadata, where for each is present "ReLIS" inside "handle" field
structure.
What about this matter?
We could settle up some procedures to manage automatic global changes,
but we have to consider that  we have a lot of distribute archives
around the world...
The handle field is strategic in order to access information service.
But surely Thomas will have thought to this

b - we may wish to rename DoIS to DoCIS (sounds better IMHO), but
  we will need a few symbolic link.

That sounds better ...sure ... I hadjust now requested for domain
registration for Italian DoIS www.dois.it ;-(
But that is not a problem. My working group, entirely volunteer, is
working on Italian LIS  online and free access documents. So dois.it can
remain so like is and to meet into DoCIS anyway.
This for the simple consideration that up to now we can manage only LIS
documents.

A furthermore consideration.
I feel me very enthusiastic to work inside Research Index with an
Autonomous Citation Index system for our LIS area documents, but we have
maybe to consider a cooperation with ERCIM project (NCSTRL) which is
tailored on computer science areas.

I am indeed happy to work with all you
Antonella