[ReLIS] SFX implementation

Antonella De Robbio derobbio@tin.it
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:04:00 +0200

Hi Imma,

>Do you know any article where I can find information abut this? [Imma]

I  am forwarding  to you to the following messagge which I had sent yesterday
to Jose' Manuel and Thomas. On the bottom you can find some useful articles
antonella

====

SFX service was created by Herbert van de Somple  to manage dynamic
linking in a hybrid library environment. The system presents a solution to
interlink
the available information entities, which uses concepts drawn from the
domain of linking services, without being one in the strict sense of the
meaning in a framework for the field of reference linking. He described
the basic features of an open URL
The van de Sompel idea is described in a work subdivided in three parts.
The first is focalized on the hybrid library enviroment, general
concepts of linking (static or dynamic / closed or open),...
>From here born OpenURL concept
Part two describes the SFX service and some pre-experience (Ghent), and
introduce the SfX idea with COLLI "collection of anticipated conceptual
links" that the hybrid library wants to make available to its users and
the SFX-button for just-in-time linking.
Third part shows how SfX application has been demonstrated conclusively
in the "SFX@Ghent & SFX@LANL" experiment for remote distributed
information resources of the Ghent and LANL digital libraries
collections.
Bottom I put some references: three papers and others
SfX has now been acquired by Ex Libris (USA), Inc., Aleph library
automation software producer
Furthermore see NISO Committee AX documents on development of an OpenURL
Standard.
There is an interesting work on OpenResolver on Ukoln site where is
described the deployment and use of the OpenURL by walking through a few
simple examples using UKOLN's OpenResolver. There is a demonstration
OpenURL resolution service
I think that would be usefull for us maybe an OpenURL Resolver: SfX is
an idea but in order to implement it and built something it is necessary
a lot of work.
For this reason ExLibris (commercial producer) sells complete SfX
platform.
Our library community should work togheter in orer to built a SfX
environment complete and free

I am translating the citated articles in Italian for my working group, I
have to ask to Herbert the permit ... on the copyright laws base ;-)

ciao ciao
antonella