[OAI-eprints] Open Navigation for Open Access Archives

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck@iastate.edu
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:52:38 -0600

                 _Open Navigation for Open Access Archives_

   As one who has experimented with the application of an established
conventional  library classification scheme for "organizing the Web"

           [ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/]

and documented other efforts in my clearinghouse titled

    _Beyond Bookmarks: Schemes for Organizing the Web_

[ | CLASSIFICATION SYSTEMS : Alphabetic | Numeric | Alphanumeric ||
CONTROLLED VOCABULARIES | ]

   [ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/CTW.htm ] ,

I  was pleased to read the recent posting and subsequent commentary on
"Introducing the Subject Categorization discussion"

[ http://lists.openlib.org/pipermail/oai-eprints/2003-January/date.html
].

  While I believe that it is to be expected that we seek to apply
traditional organization methods to organize digital resources, I
believe that we need to rethink such an approach. In this Digital Age,
we should Think, Act, and Do Digital; In this Age of Open Access
Archives , we should Think, Act, and Do Open Navigation.

      We must not only Liberate the Scholarly Literature through
OAI/OAI-PMH, BOAI, etc., We Must Open our Minds to alternative methods
of Access!

   Indeed, I believe within the nascent OAI movement, we have an
unprecedented opportunity to establish alternative Navigation options
for digital resources, and to create  The New Access Standard, with
Information Visualization as one prominent approach  [See my posting
_Visualized Subject Access for Open Access Archives_ on January 2, 2003

[http://lists.openlib.org/pipermail/oai-eprints/2003-January/000019.html
]

   Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
and
Science and Technology Librarian and Bibliographer
Iowa State University Library
152 Parks
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck@iastate.edu