[cgiapp] define pdf:use-cropbox=true

Ben php at clutchsem.com
Tue Sep 20 18:19:52 EDT 2011

Hi - new to Perl and this list, but pretty comfortable learning new
languages.  I'm working on a Perl CGI script that takes GET parameters for
filename/path and max image dimensions to scale the image to within max
dimensions (width/height) and create a thumbnail within thumbnail max
dimensions (w/h) and convert the original file, if not a JPG already, to
JPG.  So far I'm good with PNG, JPG, GIF, and some TIFs and have had
marginal success with PDFs.  I can get and convert each page of a multi-page
PDF doc, ending up with page[x] JPGs, but the JPG aren't being cropped
properly - most of the PDF pages are really 2-page spreads (17x11), except
the cover (page[0]) which is only 8.5x11.  The result is the cover JPG
results in essentially an 11x17, but the far right 8.5x11 is white.  I have
Image::Magick (PerlMagick) and GPL Ghostwriter 9.04 installed, but cannot
for the life of me figure out define use-cropbox=true.

Sample code - I have tried multiple variations of
$image->Set('pdf:use-cropbox'=>'true');    and just not having any luck with
it:

#!/usr/bin/perl --

use Image::Magick;

my $pdfDoc;

my $newDoc;

my $image;

$pdfDoc = "$ENV{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/client\_images/pdftest.pdf";

$newDoc = "$ENV{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/client\_images/large/pdftester.jpg";

$image = new Image::Magick;

$image->Read($pdfDoc."[0]");

$image->Set('pdf:use-cropbox'=>'true');

$image->Write($newDoc);