[cgiapp] Open source applications written using CGI::Application

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 14:50:32 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Michael Peters <mpeters at plusthree.com> wrote:
> On 06/14/2011 02:49 AM, Gabor Szabo wrote:
>
>> Is there any plan to upload it to CPAN?
>
> It's not a simple matter of uploading it to CPAN. Krang handles it's own
> dependencies including Apache and mod_perl and bundles/builds it all
> together. It would take a lot of work to make it work as a normal CPAN
> distribution and probably not worth it since you still can't specify exact
> module version requirements for CPAN installs.

This is not the first time I hear such packaging.
I understand this is so the developers will have full control on what gets used
but I think, if I was writing a big application, I'd create a plain source code
version and upload it to CPAN and create a well specified (binary)
distribution that includes the specific version of the dependencies.

Of course going to such a model might be difficult now and might not
be in the interest of the developers.

regards
  Gabor