[cgiapp] Open source applications written using CGI::Application

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Wed Jun 15 10:58:35 EDT 2011

Gabor Szabo wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Gabor!

> I was looking for some examples of applications written
> using CGI::Application that are open source and preferable
> even on CPAN. Here is what I found:
>
> I looked at the wiki: http://cgi-app.org/index.cgi?Examples
> and I keep wondering.
>
> - Krang http://www.krangcms.com/ was last touched 2 years ago (is it
> still used?)

Krang is used (at least by me!) just about every day.  Almost all of our
clients, most of them publishing companies, use krang to manage their
sites.  Here is a partial list:

   http://erlbaum.net/clients/

As Michael Peters pointed out, the site has not been updated as
conscientiously as we'd like -- I guess most of us krang users are
developers and tend to learn of new releases by monitoring the svn
mailing list (cuz we're just hard core like that -- heheh).

So I just updated the krang news, changelog and documentation pages on
the site so that now you -- and the rest of the world -- can see that
the project has not been stalled for years!  In fact, we've had about 6
releases since the site was last updated.

My bad -- it was just the guy that was supposed to be updating the web
site that was stalled for two years :-)

> Are there any open source CGI::Application based usable applications out there?

I think the typical CGI::Application user is a professional web
developer, who uses it to implement web apps for their clients' web
sites.  Such clients typically do not want their apps release as open
source.  They pay to have custom apps developed for the purpose of
*differentiating* their site from their competition -- such custom
tailored apps typically may not be released or distributed.

SO, while CGI::App is itself a great open source project -- the apps we
build with it tend to be proprietary.  At least for most of our clients
that is the case.

Kinda like the Gimp is a great open source image editor, but the images
that are edited with it, of course, do not tend to be open released as
open source ...but that would be an interesting license restriction,
wouldn't it?  :-)

thanks,

-dave