[cgiapp] The Zero Barrier (was: Re: Anonymous home page editing?)

Ron Savage ron at savage.net.au
Thu May 19 19:26:55 EDT 2011

Hi David

Thanx for the explanation.

More below.

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 09:54 -0400, David Kaufman wrote:
> Hi Josh (and cgiapp-ers one and all),
>
> I wasn't paying attention back when the choice of Wiki software was
> made, installed (or skinned so nicely!), but the responsibility has
> fallen to me to host and (occasionally) maintain it.
>
> So when we decommissioned our previous server (last year?) and migrated
> the cgiapp wiki and mailing list (along with the rest of the company's
> web apps and mail systems) to this new machine, I had to reinstall the
> Wiki software, which I found was no longer maintained by the authors (at
> least not on CPAN -- they do seem to have a radically new version that
> requires a new fangled auto-magical auto-installer, neither of which are
> on CPAN (nor can be, iirc because it now ships bundled *with* with other
> CPAN modules) but I wasn't in the mood for radical) and it was also
> unclear to me whether the next new version was Considered Done yet, so I
> just got this creaky old wiki working again.
>
> In the process I found that about a kajillion spam posts had been added
> that no one had removed (because no one had noticed), and poking around

No-one notices means no-ones reads this stuff, or no-one cares enough to
report it? Scary.

> the wiki docs, I also found that this creaky old version actually had
> some nice revision control features --- I guess all wikis do -- complete
> with view-history, a nifty view-diffs button, dead simple roll-back and,
> of course, email notifications.

"nifty view-diffs button"? It turns out to be true.

Click the tiny left-arrow-head at the bottom of a page, to get back to
the previous version of that page. Only then does a diff button appear,
to the right of the tiny black navigation (version-to-version) buttons.
Nice, but a trifle obscurantistic.

http://savage.net.au/
Ph: 0421 920 622