[cgiapp] The Zero Barrier (was: Re: Anonymous home page editing?)

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Thu May 19 09:54:55 EDT 2011

Hi Josh (and cgiapp-ers one and all),

I wasn't paying attention back when the choice of Wiki software was
made, installed (or skinned so nicely!), but the responsibility has
fallen to me to host and (occasionally) maintain it.

So when we decommissioned our previous server (last year?) and migrated
the cgiapp wiki and mailing list (along with the rest of the company's
web apps and mail systems) to this new machine, I had to reinstall the
Wiki software, which I found was no longer maintained by the authors (at
least not on CPAN -- they do seem to have a radically new version that
requires a new fangled auto-magical auto-installer, neither of which are
on CPAN (nor can be, iirc because it now ships bundled *with* with other
CPAN modules) but I wasn't in the mood for radical) and it was also
unclear to me whether the next new version was Considered Done yet, so I
just got this creaky old wiki working again.

In the process I found that about a kajillion spam posts had been added
that no one had removed (because no one had noticed), and poking around
the wiki docs, I also found that this creaky old version actually had
some nice revision control features --- I guess all wikis do -- complete
with view-history, a nifty view-diffs button, dead simple roll-back and,
of course, email notifications.

So instead of trying to fix the "anyone can edit" problem, I decided to
try and fix the "no one noticed" problem: by telling the Wiki to post to
this list each time anyone edits anything, the entire community is
gently reminded that the wiki does still exist (perhaps the spammers do
our community a small service, in this respect) and we're all nudged to
help sweep up around the place.  While certainly not an appropriate
solution for larger communities, busier wikis or higher volume mailing
lists, for us, and for me, this small change has been a big win.

While I was initially annoyed that the Wiki change notices just say who
and what page (I had toyed with the idea of setting up fully colorized
html diffs in the email notices! but my laziness prevailed, as it does)
in this case, the sparseness is kind of mysterious and teases me a bit.
  Each time I see email from the wiki I wonder (albeit mildly) if what
changed was some new interesting piece of *content*, or some new spam
that I really should delete.  Usually, by the time I get around to
checking (if ever), someone else has already fixed the spam.  This
causes the intensity of laziness feedback loop to increase further each
time: the less I do, the less I have to do!  Woo and hoo :-)

So for me, the Zero Barrier to contributing thing -- whether the
contributions are writing and posting content, or helping to fight spam
-- is definitely A Good Thing.

thanks,

-dave