[cgiapp] Running a plain CGI::Application as FastCGI / PSGI

Michael Peters mpeters at plusthree.com
Fri Jul 30 11:56:18 EDT 2010

On 07/30/2010 11:50 AM, Jani Hurskainen wrote:
>  I think I got the idea of Plank/PSGI (a specification
> and middleware for web framework developers) but I don't quite
> understand what benefits my CGI::App based webapp gets using mod_psgi
> instead of mod_fastcgi ?

It's "Plack" not "Plank" :)

The benefit is that once your application works with PSGI then you can
move it between mod_cgi, mod_perl, fastcgi, Starman, Tatsumaki, Twiggy,
etc. It's not tied to a particular web server since there are Plack
adapter layers that can be used to make a PSGI application run on any of
those.

Most web frameworks try to abstract away most of this already, but they
all do it in different wants. PSGI is meant to standardize all of these
so there's not so much wheel reinvention.

Also it allows people to write middleware components that can be run for
any PSGI application. So a catalyst app running under mod_perl can use
the same debugging toolbar as a CGI::Application app running under Starman.

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP