[cgiapp] Future of the wiki

Lyle webmaster at cosmicperl.com
Wed Mar 17 18:54:44 EDT 2010

Mark Rajcok wrote:
> I don't think we should write a CGI-App-based wiki for the following
> reasons:
>
> 1. It will never have the feature set of other wikis, which means that
> probably no one else would ever use this wiki except us.

I don't think this is true. A Wiki that is clean, fast, easy to use and
simple to install could be very popular. Most features of Wikis are
never used and are nothing more than hype or marketing material "Our
wiki has X more features than theirs...", etc. Also a lot of wiki
features are already done by CGI::Wiki

> 2. Regarding "it would be a good CGI-App sample app for people to look at
> and learn from" -- there are already some sample apps out there that people
> can look at.  I don't think we need a wiki sample reference app.  If we're
> going to collectively build a new sample/reference app, how about something
> more interesting -- like a social networking site/framework.

I think we should work on several things. I've been working on a
cohesive plugin system for cgi-app, which would make it easy for people
to contribute to projects. When I finally get it fully working and up to
CPAN I'll probably be pushing it, hopefully with a good example. For an
interesting and definitely wanted app, I think a Perl based CRM would be
best. If you search for Perl CRM then you'll find several blog posts
from ppl looking for this...

> 3. It won't see the light of day for months... this is the 2nd or 3rd time
> this was discussed, and I didn't see any marching orders materialize from
> this thread yet...

Something has been started, I think that's a step forward. I also don't
see any huge rush. I've still got my fingers crossed my finances will
improve enough for me to throw a load of time at this.

Lyle