[cgiapp] C::A::P::Routes

Ron Savage ron at savage.net.au
Sat Mar 6 02:20:35 EST 2010

Hi Michael

>From Michael Peters mpeters at plusthree.com
>On 03/04/2010 10:04 AM, Brad Van Sickle wrote:

>> Maybe CGI::Application::Dispatch or CAP::Routes is a better/more
>> powerful way to do this... but I don't see how.  Which is why I'm asking.

>There are pros and cons to both ways (using mod_rewrite or Dispatch) and
>I frequently use them both, even in the same project.

That's all very well for someone with your expertise, but for the average
programmer the mantra has to be:
o Do it simply (at first)
o Do it right
o Perhaps one day add complexity

This reminds me of a msg on the DBI users list (which these days I can't
unsubscribe from [posts are blocked but I still receive posts, and the
help and (human?) owner addresses don't respond]):
o Someone asked are a recommendation about storing files in a db
o I replied that my policy is: data goes in databases, and files go in
filesystems
o Tim Bunce himself (author of DBI) politely pointed out that Oracle grabs
a large block of your hard disk and installs it's own file system in it,
so, it's efficient to store files in the db if it's Oracle.
o Sure, but that's an Oracle-based optimisation, and the decision depends
on actually knowing that that happens. Now that we know it, we can choose
that alternative. But for beginners, my advice is always: Keep it simple...

ron at savage.net.au
http://savage.net.au/index.html