[cgiapp] PSGI vs FCGI

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sat Feb 13 22:39:14 EST 2010

> Also, would it be true to say that using PSGI is one way to do it, and
> another way is to use things like:
> o Net::FastCGI
> o AnyEvent::FCGI
> o FCGI
> o FCGI::Async
> o FCGI::Client
> o FCGI::EV
>
> For instance, I've just downloaded FCGI::Async, and in the examples/ dir
> I found exec-cgi.fcgi, which runs sample.cgi.

PSGI is a API to support. It is a not a "backend" but there are
many adapters or "handlers" already out there to export existing
servers and environments. By using PSGI, you have access to all
the existing compatible handlers and other plugin-like middleware.

So PSGI does not compete with FastCGI. It is an API, not an environment or
server itself.

The existing list of PSGI handlers includes CGI, FastCGI, Apache/mod_perl (1.x
and 2.x) and several stand-alone Pure-Perl web servers.

The value is in the simple, proven, standardized interface between frameworks
and servers.

http://mark.stosberg.com/