[cgiapp] Future of the wiki

Mark Fuller azfuller at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 16:58:13 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Paul Miller <listmail at voltar-confed.org> wrote:
>  If the website for it doesn't have some
> kind of demo and in fact uses mostly PHP code, what good is the lib.

I understand your point and it has some validity. But, that's not what
Lyle said, and I was addressing. He said he "loathes Perl sites using
PHP." That's significantly broader than a library site (for web
development) using PHP.

However, the dilemma is much the same. A goal to showcase C::A will be
detrimental to the goals David enumerated at the beginning of this
topic. There's no way you can realistically create a wiki with the
features that mediaWiki has. Nor a forum with the features of phpbb
(if you want to capitalize on the attributes of discussion
participants to reduce wiki spam.). The fewer the features (and
community), the fewer people participating as moderators, less robust
anti-spam techniques, etc.

I agree that it would be more consistent to have a wiki (and forum)
written with C::A. But, Lyle said he'd settle for just Perl. So, we've
already established a level of pragmatism.

It's just a matter of how much pragmatism as someone balances the
goals originally stated versus the ideals that C::A is "better" than
anything else.

Personally, I don't think it undermines C::A's credibility that
there's not a widespread wiki or forum written in it. Not using the
best tools just because it would admit reality (that the best tools
aren't written using C::A) shouldn't be threatening. It's just
reality. The question, to me, is whether to use the best tools for the
job (wiki, forum, etc.).

But, if C::A's community is small and that's a contributing factor to
why widely used tools (wiki, forum) aren't written in C::A, then I
guess it doesn't matter if a wiki (and forum) are written in C::A for
demonstration purposes. However, there will be more problems with spam
and participation (due to lack of features). The goals would be
different than that which was first stated in this topic.