[cgiapp] Future of the wiki

Mark Fuller azfuller at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 13:37:44 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Lyle <webmaster at cosmicperl.com> wrote:

> I personally loathe Perl sites that use PHP.

I used to feel guilty about what others would think if they knew I
edited Perl with a non-Perl editor.

I got over it. The result was better than forever talking about how
someone should write an editor in Perl just to satisfy some religious
belief.

There are plenty of things I don't like about phpbb. But, it has
features that would take years to write with a new C::A project.
(Moderator controls, RSS, email notifications, private messages, etc.
Plus, a *massive* community.).

I'd like to write a forum in C::A that could run in mod-perl or
fastcgi. Something that uses etag values stored in the database (with
page content) so pages unmodified pages could be displayed with
blinding speed.

But, that would be a very big project (in addition to recreating what
already exists).

There are some other forums that aren't as heavy as phpbb. Some have
liscence restrictions to prevent forking. Others lack important
features. "Phorum" is probably the closest.

But, almost all the forums with extended features are written in PHP.
(Forums and wikis can be compared here: www.forummatrix.org/). There's
not a lot of choice when it comes to Perl (with modern features, large
user base, etc.).