[cgiapp] Future of the wiki

ron at savage.net.au ron at savage.net.au
Tue Feb 2 01:48:32 EST 2010

Hi Folks

Before starting such a project, everyone needs to agree to support the
definitive wiki syntax:

http://www.wikicreole.org/

Agreed?

If you can't even agree on that, forget it.

I suggest sounding out people not on this mailing list, for ideas.
There are so many people who can be
pingged, e.g. http://rjbs.manxome.org/, etc, etc. Just keep track of
their suggestions...

And, a CPAN search for 'wiki' finds 1,967 hits. That's scary. It
suggests 2 things (to me):

o A lot of conversion utilities have been written between the various
wiki syntaxes.

o A number of projects were started and abandoned.

Both these are of concern, but I prefer to ignore the first.

The latter one, though, begs the question: Why?

I venture that it's like millions of projects in human history - they
were started based on a
non-sustainable burst of energy. Bluntly, they were never going to be
finished.

/We don't need that!/

Either a new wiki project is not started, or it's carried thru until
it's finished.

Abandonment means all contributed effort is wasted.

And lastly, are /all/ existing wikis unacceptable?

If so, why?

Does it matter if we a less-than-perfect wiki, when everything in life
is less-than-perfect :-)?

My preference would be to use an existing one, since then our efforts
can be directed to other things,
rather than just reinventing the wheel.