[cgiapp] size of scripts and dependencies

Richard Jones ra.jones at dpw.clara.co.uk
Sun Sep 20 05:22:41 EDT 2009

P Kishor wrote:
> Because, Michael, it is difficult. It is not simply out of the box and
> click and run. To run a persistent environment, I have to install and
> configure Apache and mod_perl or FastCGI. I develop on my laptop,
> then, when everything is working, I set up the application on a test
> server, then when everything is checked by the rest of the team and
> tested, we move it to a production server. That means, I have to set
> up not one but three identical environments. I have wasted countless
> hours trying to make mod_perl compile on a server I have. It just is
> too difficult.

Assuming you control the server and it's Linux, it's as difficult as
apt-get install libapache2-mod-perl2 (for Debian-based systems). Other
distros would have similar package installers. FastCGI is a little more
involved, but not much.

Similarly for the laptop, if it's Linux then it's the same process as
above, or if Windows then andLinux will give you a virtual (Ubuntu)
environment to develop with (apt-get install again), or there is always
VM as an alternative. Not sure about Mac OS though.

It's a little up-front investment in setup time, but means you can use
the same platform for development and testing and production, and
mod_perl setup really is pretty trivial. In fact I do exactly that,
including development on a laptop, where I have my CGI::App running
under CA::Server, mod_perl and fastcgi, and it's fairly easy to port the
app to the more-or-less identically configured test & production servers.

There again, if everything is Windows based, the XAMPP package has
mod_perl working out-of-the-box, at least it did last time I looked. Of
course if you don't have control of the server then none of the above
may apply :)
--
Richard Jones