[cgiapp] RunmodeDeclare and ValidateRM incompatibility?

Richard Jones ra.jones at dpw.clara.co.uk
Fri Jun 19 10:44:06 EDT 2009

Ron Savage wrote:
> Hi Richard
[ .. ]

> Just in case you think I'm a night owl too, it was 11:09 am when I
> posted... That's what you get for being at the center of internet, aka
> Melbourne, Australia :-).

Of course, you meant 'centre' :) Also, I thought you fell off the edge
somewhere round there?

>> So in answer to Ron's nuclear option, I'm not persuaded it's necessary
>> to bin it at the moment. But in reality I use it only for the admin
>> parts of my app, as it was too much work to re-factor all the rest of it
>> away from AutoRunmode, which was and is working fine anyway.
>
> Fair enough. I'm deeply uneasy about adding these modules on top of
> things, myself, so I don't.

Yes, agreed with the sentiment, but it's always a trade-off between
re-inventing the wheel by hand-writing everything - session handling,
form submission handling (yes, even CGI.pm), etc, or on the other hand
installing all the bells-and-whistles from CPAN and having to baby-sit
your application until you're completely happy with it. A comprehensive
test suite helps greatly there.

I fall somehow between the two, as I imagine do most folk here. Nothing
ventured, nothing gained also applies here - you can only really become
comfortable with a module when you have experience using it in a
production environment, which means trying it out in the first place. I
usually introduce new or unfamiliar modules either in non-critical apps
that can double as test-beds, or early on in the development cycle of a
major app. This list is also very helpful in trouble-shooting issues
with unfamiliar modules.

So to go back to your earlier point, I would say I'm only slightly
uneasy about introducing new modules on top of things. So I do :)
--
Richard Jones