[cgiapp] Re: HTML::FillInForm maintanence, patch idea

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Thu Feb 5 11:43:24 EST 2009

> Everything is working fine, but I notice some valid bugs:
> http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=HTML-FillInForm
>
> and I notice no updates to any of his modules in more than 9 months:
> http://search.cpan.org/~tjmather/?R=D
>
> and I have an issue - you cannot pass an instance of HTML::Tree directly to
> the FillInForm method. I would be happy to supply a patch, but it seems that
> it would be blowing smoke in the wind based on how frequently TJ Mather
> seems to be around.
>
> Any feedback on this situation is welcome.

I first still try the normal process of filling a wish/bug report via
the bug tracker. He was responsive when I submitted the patch that
became HTML::FillInForm 2.0.

He's also the person that got me started as CPAN maintainer long ago. I
was interested in HTML::FormValidator, but it was embedded in another
distribution and the maintainer for it was not being responsive. TJ
facilited forking the module into Data::FormValidator and encouraging me
to make the updates I wanted and upload it under the new name.

If he's not responsive, you always have the option to fork yourself.

I have some interest in a pure-perl FillInForm to support a more
portable Titanium distribution. The trick there is finding a suitable
replacement for HTML::Parser.

   Mark Stosberg            Principal Developer
   mark at summersault.com     Summersault, LLC
   765-939-9301 ext 202     database driven websites
 . . . . . http://www.summersault.com/ . . . . . . . .