[cgiapp] Safe way to remember user login?

Steve Comrie steve at octane.to
Tue Jan 13 15:04:56 EST 2009

The way I've accomplished this is by adding something like an md5key
column to the users database.

When someone checks the "remember me" button you can generate a key
based on something like, their username / password / the current date +
some salt (or whatever you like).

Then store that key in the database table and pass a copy back to the
user as a cookie with a expiration of 1 week (or however long you'd like).

Now, of course if someone gets a hold of that cookie information they
will be able to log in. So for a little added security you might want to
setup a second field in the user database beside the md5key field that
contains a valid until date.

That way, when you check the cookie md5key vs the database md5key, you
check first that they match (if not you have a problem right off the
bat). If they do match and the current date is not passed the md5key
expiry date then you let the person into the system, otherwise, kick
them back to the login screen.

---
Steve Comrie