[cgiapp] Re: CAP::AutoRunmode not working with mod_perl again ??

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sun Nov 9 15:08:47 EST 2008

> The choice actually is a) fix AutoRunmode - preferable as my app. is
> already working with it (except under mod_perl); b) switch to
> RunmodeDeclare, where I will have a lot of code to convert and is pretty
> much a one-way ticket; and c) revert to the traditional method of
> declaring $self->run_modes & $self->start_mode in setup(), which can
> probably be considered the safer option.

I see the big picture decision here as being about efficiency. Which
saves the most time in the end? I thought AutoRunmode would, because it
made the code more concise, but I lost that bit a big way because of the
time I spent tracking down a related mod_perl bug and undoing the code.

RunmodeDeclare would have similar trade-offs: If there aren't any
serious current or future bugs, then it's a win. If you hit one,
you lose.

Currently, I've using traditional approach. It's not not the most
concise, but it's stable and reliable.

With my experience and yours, I feel unlikely to return to using
AutoRunmode again, but I'll consider RunmodeDeclare in the future, once
it's been proven in the wild longer.

http://mark.stosberg.com/blog