[cgiapp] CGI::Application::Dispatch Install Issues

Michael Peters mpeters at plusthree.com
Sat Mar 8 12:49:07 EST 2008

Todd Ross wrote:

> [me at unixbox1:~/perltemp/CGI-Application-Dispatch-2.12]> perl Makefile.PL
> This module can optionally use Apache::Test to test the mod_perl
> functionality.
> Undefined subroutine &ExtUtils::MakeMaker::prompt called at Makefile.PL
> line 31, <DATA> line 547.

I'm curious about this one. I'm not sure which version of ExtUtils::MakeMaker
added prompt (it's in at least 6.31, but I don't know about 6.30). It works just
fine for me.

I am trying to be smarter than the average Makefile.PL, but I just seem to be
getting more trouble then it's work at this point. I'll probably just go back to
being dumb and not run the Apache/mod_perl tests unless the person already have
Apache::Test installed.

> [me at unixbox1:~/perltemp/CGI-Application-Dispatch-2.12]> perl Build.PL
> Can't locate object method "new" via package "Module::Build" (perhaps you
> forgot to load "Module::Build"?) at Build.PL line 2.

You need to install Module::Build using CPAN.

> Is there a known problem with CGI::Application::Dispatch?  How have others
> installed this?
>
> Since its complaining about not finding a MakeMaker sub, the version of
> MakeMaker I'm using is probably relevant:
>
> [me at unixbox1:~/perltemp/CGI-Application-Dispatch-2.12]> perl
> -MExtUtils::MakeMaker -e 'print "$ExtUtils::MakeMaker::VERSION\n"'
> 6.30

Try upgrading your ExtUtils::MakeMaker.

> The Perl version is also probably relevant:
>
> [me at unixbox1:~/perltemp/CGI-Application-Dispatch-2.12]> perl -v
>
> This is perl, v5.8.8 built for sun4-solaris
>
> <snip>
>
> I've installed 100s of CPAN modules using these procedures with this build
> of Perl, so I'm comfortable with my environment.

using the command line to install perl modules is so 2000 :) Have you tried the
CPAN shell?

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP