[cgiapp] how to use C::A::Dispatch with FastCGI ?

Mark Fuller azfuller at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 13:47:16 EST 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 1:42 AM, David Emery <dave at skiddlydee.com> wrote:

>  You'd be getting whatever version of Perl is on that machine.

Thanks. I had the idea that it was creating it's own statically linked
Perl executable.

>  It works very well for me. The ability to group scripts together to
>  share a speedy instance, and to set config parameters in the
>  shebang-line are nice.

I like it too. Especially the ability to play with it at the command
line. 2-3 years ago I went through the learning curve figuring out the
subtle differences between persistence and non-persistence (the
difference between class and object data, how begin and end blocks
work, etc.). That would have been a lot easier at the command line
instead of experimenting with a CGI. I think there's a way to hook up
a command line script to a FCGI script through a pipe or unix socket.
But, I haven't looked at it closely.

I like how there's not much to change to switch to mod_perl. I'm
trying to think if there's a way to make common FCGI processing a
plugin so it would just be a one-line change. I saw
CGI::Application:FastCGI:

http://search.cpan.org/~naoya/CGI-Application-FastCGI-0.02/lib/CGI/Application/FastCGI.pm

A superclass between you and C::A. But, it looks like the object never
goes out of focus. I guess that could lead to coding that wouldn't
behave the same way under mod_perl or native fcgi.