[cgiapp] how to use C::A::Dispatch with FastCGI ?

Michael Peters mpeters at plusthree.com
Sat Feb 23 13:13:52 EST 2008

Mark Fuller wrote:

> I'm just trying to understand what's commonly used. I feel like I'm
> missing something because I've heard it's desirable to use something
> other than mod_perl because

Well, I've heard... :)
Actually my opinions on this are actually based experience. I've been developing
and maintaining applications under mod_perl for at least 7 years.

> 1) it's a bad idea to run Perl within the
> web server, and

Why? Embedding languages is a very common thing to do. Not just Perl in Apache
(or Python, Ruby, PHP, etc in Apache) but most Java application servers are the
same way.

> 2) web hosters may not make it available.

Yes, it's true that a lot of simple web hosts don't allow mod_perl because it
means that you can actually mess up other people who are using mod_perl too in
the same server. But this is the same with mod_php too. It's not used very much
either.

But in all honesty, just buy a dedicated server. You can get a starter for
$30-50 a month and then you can put all the sites you want on it. And you won't
have to worry about asking the hosting provider to update some CPAN module or
install some library.

Sure you'll have to learn a few admin skills, but that's just more skills for
your resume (and even most dedicated servers come with a web admin panel). If I
had to pick between 2 people to hire who have similar skills and one has always
written apps that only run on shared servers but the other wrote for a dedicated
server. Guess which one I would hire?

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP