[cgiapp] CGIApp Project Management

Barry Moore barry.moore at genetics.utah.edu
Tue Feb 12 14:58:47 EST 2008

Hi all,

I've been developing web apps with cgi-app for several years now, but
for the first time I'm coordinating a project that will involve
several developers, and I'm trying to think about how best to
structure things - particularly in regards to version control.

I've got three developers and I'm using subversion to manage code
versioning.  We are all developing on the same server (RH linux/
apache), and our "production" code will be on that same machine as well.

How do those of you with large groups manage having something like
this in each developers repository:

/home/developer1/my-app-working-copy/cgi-bin/my-app.cgi
                                     /lib/My-App.pm
                                     /templates/home.tt
                                     /css/my-app.css
                                     /html/static.html

distributed to something like this:

/var/www/html/my-app/css/my-app.css
/var/www/html/my-app/html/static.html
/var/www/cgi-bin/my-app/my-app.cgi

I'd also like each developer to be able to run their working copy web
app off the same server so do you have different cgi-bin paths like
this:

http://www.our.server/cgi-bin/developer1/my-app.cgi
http://www.our.server/cgi-bin/developer2/my-app.cgi
http://www.our.server/cgi-bin/production/my-app.cgi

Or is it better to configure apache on this machine like this:

http://dev1.our.server/cgi-bin/my-app.cgi
http://dev2.our.server/cgi-bin/my-app.cgi
http://www.our.server/cgi-bin/my-app.cgi

I'm having trouble sorting our what problems to solve with
environment variables, which with config files and which with apache
configuration.