[cgiapp] super fancy javascript

Benjamin Hitz hitz at genome.stanford.edu
Fri Dec 14 16:53:01 EST 2007

The short title would be:  Rico vs. jQuery!  Who will Win!

So, we are tasked to implement js table filtering/sorting and all
sorts of ajax goodness.
Our current system (at least the parts we have rewritten) use
CGI::Application + TT to good effect.

I did a very simply demo with the table-kit library which sits on
prototype using CGI::Application::Plugin::HTMLPrototype...but alas,
this library doesn't support the superfancy tables.

It appears two JavaScript "frameworks" are popular - jQuery (which is
it's own thing) and Rico, built on Prototype.
It seems that Prototype has slightly more Perl support (although
there is a Cpan JQuery library as well).  The Rico dist comes with a
non-cpan (yet?) module called DBIx::LiveGrid as well for getting
tables via DBI (we are slowly converting to DBIx::Class, which
apparently doesn't quite mesh with the DBIx::LiveGrid).

Anyone have an experience with these?   Using the tablekit thing was
stupid simple; basially 12 lines of CSS cut-and-pasted plus added the
class "sortable" to an existing table in a template, and attached 2
or 3 js files to the page.  More complicated stuff I think might need
more perl..

some URLs incase this is all as new to you as it was to me last week:

http://docs.jquery.com/Main_Page
http://openrico.org/downloads

Thanks,
Ben
--
Ben Hitz
Senior Scientific Programmer ** Saccharomyces Genome Database ** GO
Stanford University ** hitz at genome.stanford.edu