[cgiapp] strategies for decoupling HTML::Template

Berg, Eric eric.berg at lehman.com
Mon Oct 22 17:59:50 EDT 2007

I think of HT as a nice freebee that's pretty transparent and
inexpensive to install (pure Perl, etc.) and relatively unobtrusive.  I
don't use it, but it's been used here before I came in and put a TT
stake in the ground.  I've been using TT for a number of years now, and
am comfortable with its installation requirements.

What is it that is really at issue here?

Why does anybody care if this realtively benign package gets installed
by default?  Ok, it breaks the all-must-be-as-modular-as-possible rule,
but...big deal?  Surely, noone feels slighted that their favorite
templating libs weren't chosen.

TT works just fine with CA.  Doesn't it?

And finally, Jesse's needs (he uses HT) and the potential impact to
users going forward that would come from uncoupling C::A and H::T would
probably be more of a pain that it's worth in general.

So, again, now that we've been all over this, what's the rub here?

Eric