[AMF-talk] Re: breadth of AMF

baum amf-talk@lists.openlib.org
Tue, 01 Oct 2002 08:17:31 -0400

Sune,

I wholly agree that there are good reasons to have a software template (or
some manner of distinction) that permits services to segregate software
from papers in RePEc. Indeed, there are good reasons to have a dataset
template (or distinction) as well (rather than treating datasets as
ancillary files to papers describing their contents). And if a scheme is
entitled the 'Academic Metadata Format', it must be capable of representing
all of the types of materials which academics are interested in using, or
it is not IMHO worthy of the name. Of course AMF can be extended in this
manner; the question is, will it be? There has been a notable lack of
enthusiasm to do so (some sort of ideological purity among those formerly
known as librarians?), which leads me to the decidedly suboptimal solution
of recoding software templates into pseudo-paper-templates, and losing the
distinction that presently exists between the two. I don't think that is in
our best interest, but neither is creating orphans of software templates
due to their inability to be expressed in OAI-compliant terms.

Thx
Kit

--On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 11:09 +0200 Sune Karlsson